therese

valar morghulis

i love books. i love every kind of book. i just want to hug them all but i can't. can't hug every book, can't hug every book. (to the tune of "can't hug every cat."

The Young Elites
Marie Lu
Under the Dome: A Novel
Stephen King

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Anna and the French Kiss  - Stephanie Perkins

Because I read Lola and the Boy Next Door before I read this, the outcome of this book wasn't any big surprise. Not that I think anyone were surprised.

According to my Lola-review, I gave Lola a 4.5 stars. This one is strictly a 4 stars. Lola got 4.5 stars because I wasn't crazy about the first 100 pages but absolutely loved the last 200, this gets only 4 stars because I liked all 372 pages, but not with the intensity that I loved the last 200 pages of Lola. (Okay, I should shut up now before this gets more confusing.)

I really liked this book. The setting? Gorgeous. I loved reading about Paris, and the people in Paris and the buildings in Paris and everything else parisian. And it made me really want to go back to Paris, and I think Stephanie Perkins was aiming for that. I've been to Paris three times, but it's been a while, and the other times I've been there I've been too young to really admire the city and the architecture there. It has always been more like "YAY DISNEYLAND". (Which is probably where my mind would go at least 75% of the time if I went back today, but nevermind.)

The writing was good, no complaints there, but it wasn't extremely beautiful. It was exactly what a contemporary romance book should be written like. Perfect for the book.

I loved St. Clair, and all of their friends in their group.

Anna, however, I had a few problems with. It was nothing major, but a few times she came off as very elitist. Elitist characters is one of my biggest pet peeves. Other than that, Anna was great.

This book was at times very, very predictable. There were two big things that I guess very early on. So that's another con.

There were a couple of other pet peeves of mine that this book ticked off, but those were only some very small ones that doesn't really matter because they happen in nearly every single book, so I won't even mention it.

Other than these few cons just mentioned, I highly enjoyed this book and would recommend.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm capable of writing an entire review of a romance book without mentioning the romance. Bravo, self. Bravo. Anyway, the romance was highly enjoyable. There was just enough of a balance between attraction/lust and emotional connection to make in believable, and I found myself rooting for St. Clair and Anna, like I was supposed to. It really did feel like they got each other and they truly felt like best friends. I adored them.

Okay, prediction time. The last book in this series is called "Isla and the Happily Ever After". But that is all I know about that book. Only the title. I have not read the summary. I will after I finish writing and posting this. As of right now, again, the title is the only thing I know. 1: The book is about the same Isla that is briefly in this book, where she defends Anna. Easy. Why else would we even need her in the book, if not to establish her as a character? I have more to predict. 2: The love interest is Josh. There was no reason for him to be younger than them and not graduate with them. He was an important character in the book, but we did not get to know him very well. Based on these things, I'm willing to guess, without having read the summary (I promise) that Josh and Isla is the couple that Isla and the Happily Ever After in centered around. (AND THIS WILL BE SO EMBARRASSING IF IT'S WRONG)

This review can also be found on my goodreads accounts.